At The Saybrook at Haddam, we always believe spending quality time with a parent, grandparent or other loved one is the best gift anyone could give, especially on Mother’s Day. While we host special Mother’s Day events to celebrate as a community, we would also like to suggest other activities for friends and family to consider:
- Plan a special luncheon or early dinner in one of our private dining rooms and invite a small group to join you. This could take place the week after Mother’s Day to keep the celebration going! Ask us about preparing a menu with Mom’s favorite foods (or arrange to have a special meal brought in from a favorite restaurant). Have grandkids make placemats or bring in other decorations for the event.
- Take Mom or Grandmother out for a picnic (or out to dinner). Whether you travel to one of the local picnic areas such as Eagle Landing in Haddam, downtown Essex or Hammonasset State Park, we are lucky to have so many picturesque places to enjoy brunch, lunch or even dinner al fresco. If the weather is not good, or if you are not the picnicking types, there are plenty of local restaurants to enjoy! Either way, an afternoon out offers a wonderful change of scenery and great company for everyone to enjoy.
- Bake cookies or a special dessert with Mom– either at your home or in our Country Kitchen. This is always a fun activity, especially for younger grandchildren, and gives you delicious snacks in the end!
- Depending on the health and mobility of your mom or grandmother, consider simply spending a long afternoon with her looking at photos, listening to music, playing cards, doing puzzles, or even reading out loud to her.
- Take a day off from work and go shopping with your mom when stores are less busy. This is a great time to visit some antique shops or new boutiques (and to stop for some ice cream or frozen yogurt along the way).
- Visit a spa or salon with your mom or grandmother for a senior-specific massage, facial, and/or manicure/pedicure. You also could set up “spa day” in her apartment where you do a face mask and nail painting together (fun for younger kids to help with this, too). Every enjoys a little pampering and the effects are long-lasting.
Time is indeed the best gift to give a senior – and is the only way to create wonderful memories that are long remembers and cherished. We hope you can join us at our Mother’s Day celebration (see front desk for details) … and hope you are inspired by these proven suggestions for making the day great for your mom or grandmother!
For a personalized tour of The Saybrook at Haddam independent retirement, assisted living, and memory care community, please fill out the form below or call Jennifer Armenia at 860-345-3779.