Throughout our lives, we spend countless hours pursuing education, personal and professional development, physical fitness and wellness, and quality time with friends and family. It makes sense, then, that we would want to continue those pursuits in our retirement years. At The Saybrook at Haddam, we have structured a full range of opportunities that all point toward the highest quality of life for each resident in our independent and assisted living retirement community. We wanted to share a few highlights:
- Cultural: Our location along the Connecticut River is close to theaters, concert halls, museums, public parks and many restaurants. We travel to these venues regularly to experience all there is in our community. Recently, we went to a concert at the Coast Guard Academy’s beautiful Leamy Hall, listened to a Gaelic singer at the Brainerd Memorial Library, and dined at On The Rocks at the Fox Hopyard Golf Club. We also host weekly concerts and sing-a-longs by a wonderful variety of soloists and groups. We especially love when young performers stop by!
- The Arts: We have been hosting art appreciation programs as well as drawing classes for interested residents. We also have a bell choir club that practices regularly for fun and for future performances, and we have hosted several community drum circles. Of course, our Steinway piano in the front lobby and our upright piano in the library is available to residents and guests to play. It is such a joy when friends share their talents impromptu!
- Educational: Each Saturday, we play one of the “Great Courses” videos, making our way through many different multi-week programs on world history, religion, and culture. These programs provide insight and become discussion topics throughout the day and weeks. Several times each month, we have welcomed The Day Academy to our community for a series of lectures on subjects including Peter the Great and Russian history. Additionally, we welcome experts on a wide variety of topics (such as gardening and science) to give lectures or host discussions.
- Spiritual: Our van makes weekly trips to several nearby churches and synagogues, and we are pleased to host religious services and Bible studies right here in our community. Residents appreciate being able to maintain their connections with local congregations and to pray and reflect with friends and family.
- Wellness: In addition to the individualized care plans each resident has with our nursing staff and their own doctors, we invite outside agencies and experts to provide other helpful healthcare conveniences. These include hosting regular visits by a podiatrist, hearing aide tune ups, blood pressure clinics, and walker and wheel chair safety checks. Additionally, an APRN comes twice a week to visit with residents in their apartments (working in collaboration with family doctors and other healthcare workers). Of course, this is all in addition to the daily exercise classes we host which include Tai Chi, yoga and stretching, and the monthly health talks hosted by our recreation department.
Each of these activities promote a quality of life that is deserved by every resident at The Saybrook at Haddam – and are as important now as at any other stage in their lives. Come visit and see for yourself!
For a personalized tour of The Saybrook at Haddam and its Safe Harbor Memory Care neighborhood, please contact David Downey by e-mail or by calling 860-345-3779.